The primary function of the line cook position is to provide support to the Head Chef and 1st Cook by assisting in all areas of food preparation and production. The primary objective is to improve the operations and efficiency. Understand the importance of and promote the Company’s Mission, Vision &Values, while being a team player, punctual an adaptable to fast paced work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures, including health and safety at all times.
- Assist in preparing food in accordance to the menu specifications and guidelines as set out by the Company.
- Prepares and cooks all meals according to specs
- Follows all food handling, health and safety regulations, reports any unsafe working conditions
- Controls waste of food.
- Maintains prep and storage areas in a clean, tidy and safe manner.
- Ensures proper rotation of perishable stocks.
- Able to support all stations – including prep, wok and grill etc.
- Communicate and co-ordinate with co-workers and food servers to ensure that the service of food is efficient/timely and that the quality of food meets the customer’s and Chef’s expectations.
- Assist in maintaining budgeted food costs through the efficient control of food handling and portioning practices.
- Maintain all aspects of safety, sanitation and cleanliness of work areas and general equipment maintenance.
- Attend food service meetings as required.
- Sets a fine example as to reliability, punctuality, attendance, grooming and dress.
- Contributes to a progressive work environment by offering suggestions and ideas for improvement to our overall operations.
- Understand Company’s Mission and Vision and to acknowledge the importance of their role in helping to achieve it.
- Does not discuss confidential matters with any other than authorized personnel.
- Performs additional or alternate future tasks and duties that may be reasonably assigned to serve both the ongoing and changing needs of the Company.
- Minimum 2 year’ experience working in a commercial kitchen.
- Some post-secondary education in a credited cooking school preferred
- Good written and oral English skills.
- Trained in Thai food carving or open to learning about food carving.
- Food Handlers Certificate required.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule: days, evenings and week-ends.
- Punctual and committed to work schedules.
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Works in close contact with products containing seafood, shellfish and nuts e.g. peanuts.
- Must be acclimatized to the noise level and temperature fluctuations of a commercial kitchen.
- Most of the time requires near vision (attention to detail when preparing, cutting, operating machinery/equipment)
- Continuously stands for prolonged periods of time (ability to stand for 5 hours intervals as an average shift lasts 10 hours)
- Continuous limb coordination.
- Hazards – Equipment, machinery tools, fire, steam, hot surfaces, slippery surfaces.
- Discomforts – temperature fluctuations.